You don’t need a special occasion to open a bottle of Champagne, and sommelier / Champagne expert Todd Lipman explains why in this episode of Inside Wine Podcast.
Todd also gives you all the information you need to choose the right Champagne — every time.
A few of the topics that are covered in this episode include:
– Non-vintage Champagne explained – and why it’s where you should start when buying Champagne
– What makes vintage Champagne special, and what you should know before investing in, and enjoying it
– What factors to consider when deciding to put a Champagne in your cellar for aging or to drink it immediately
– The best ways to drink Champagne, including which vessel is best (you’ll be surprised by what Todd uses when he takes a walk in the park!)
– How to properly open a bottle of Champagne, and why it shouldn’t make a loud “pop”
– What a rodent has to do with opening Champagne (yes, rodent, that’s not a typo)
– How to avoid a Champagne mishap
– Ideal food pairings with Champagne
– How and why you could drink Champagne from the beginning of a meal through the end
– Todd thoroughly explains which styles of Champagne can work with specific dishes
– Why the best pairing might be fried chicken topped with caviar
– Understanding the various styles of Champagne – from Brut, Brut Nature, Extra Brut, Extra Dry, Demi-sec, and Doux — and how the French are messing with you by using some of these terms
– The three main grapes used in making Champagne and how they affect the flavor
– Explanation of “house style” and why you should pay attention to it
– and much more!
If you wondering why you should trust Todd Lipman, here are his credentials:
– Certified Sommelier since 2008 – 3-Time Winner of the Best Sommelier in Boston Award – Former Wine Director and Current Senior Wine Advisor and Director of Sommelier Programming for Nantucket Wine & Food Festival – Wine Director of the Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival – 23 years in the restaurant business (13 dedicated to wine & beverage) – Award-winning wine programs at Bistro du Midi in Back Bay and The Boston Harbor Hotel (Boston’s waterfront) – Most recently Sommelier-in-Residence at Craigie on Main in Cambridge, MA
You can follow Todd on Instagram @toddlipman (https://www.instagram.com/toddlipman/)
Have a question, comment, or idea for an upcoming episode? Email me at email@example.com or leave a voicemail at 917-727-9242
You can also find more wine tips at the new home of Inside Wine Podcast – https://Wine365.com